This Roasted Garlic Whipped Feta Dip is seriously good! Paired with toasted pita wedges or pita chips, this easy appetizer is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. It is a delectable spread for sandwiches and burgers too. This dip is ready in just 30 minutes, thanks in part to the trusty blender!
Whipped feta has become a popular topping and dip. It's creamy, tangy, and DELICIOUS! This recipe takes it a step further with freshly roasted garlic. The garlic permeates the dip for a flavor that is incredibly addictive. Pair this whipped feta dip with fresh vegetables, toasted pita, or pita chips. Use it as a sandwich spread too!
Thanks to non-fat Greek yogurt, this dip is only 168 calories per serving. In addition to the garlic, there is a beautiful hint of lemon thanks to fresh lemon zest. It has a delicate aroma of extra virgin olive oil too which pairs deliciously with feta cheese. Quite frankly, this garlic-infused feta dip is hard to stop eating. It is fantastic scooped atop my Slow Cooker Greek Chicken or Sheet Pan Greek Nachos.
This roasted garlic whipped feta dip recipe is quick and easy thanks to the trusty blender (or food processor). It tastes so good that you will want to make it again and again. I made it twice in one week if that is any consultation. This recipe is perfect for special occasions or everyday snacking thanks to its quick cooking time.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Feta Cheese - Use block feta cheese not crumbled. Crumbled feta has the addition of cellulose to keep it from clumping which is the opposite of what we want here. For a little less of the feta-funk and a milder flavor, use French feta cheese.
- Non-Fat Greek Yogurt - The use of non-fat yogurt keeps this dip lower in calories but does not compensate for the flavor. (A win-win!) Use full-fat yogurt if desired, but keep in mind it will up the calorie and fat index. A great substitution for yogurt is sour cream, non-fat or regular.
- Garlic - You will need lots of fresh garlic for this recipe, 8 cloves to be exact. For a less intense garlic flavor, use 4 cloves instead.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - You will find olive oil in the dip and for roasting the garlic. Be sure to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil and not a lesser, generic brand to avoid any bitterness.
- Lemon Zest - Fresh zested lemon adds a much-needed acid to this dip alongside a lovely zing of flavor that hits the tongue after the garlic.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - Only a very small amount is needed for this recipe. If you like heat, use a ¼ tsp. This ingredient can be omitted as well, it is not pertinent to the overall flavor of this dip recipe.
- Salt and Pepper - Salt is to taste if desired. Feta cheese is already salty on its own. Be sure to taste the dip before adding any salt. *Note: I did not add any additional salt myself (only to the roasted garlic).
How to Make Whipped Feta Dip
After roasting the garlic, all there is left to do is place the ingredients into a food processor or blender and puree. This recipe is just that simple!
- Roast the Garlic - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper. In a small bowl, toss the garlic cloves in the teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Transfer the olive-oil-coated cloves to the prepared baking pan. Sparingly sprinkle with kosher salt (about ⅛ of a tsp). Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Make the Dip - In a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients except for the 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until smooth. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with desired toppings
- (Optional) Toast the Pita Bread - Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush the pita bread with olive oil, on both sides. Transfer the bread to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
How to Serve This Dip
Toasted (or Untoasted) Pita Bread or Pita Chips - *See above for toasting instructions.
Fresh Vegetables - Most fresh vegetables pair great with this dip. My favorites include sliced bell pepper and English cucumber.
As a Spread - Similar to aioli, this garlic-infused whipped feta is a delicious flavorful condiment. It's perfect for sandwiches, burgers (especially Greek-inspired), and gyros.
Suggested Toppings - While there is certainly a multitude of toppings that go well with this garlicky dip, here is a list of some of the best.
- Toasted Sesame Seeds or Pine Nuts
- Additional Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - Keep in mind the additional heat.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Drizzled over the top.
- Fresh Dill or Parsley
- Roasted Red Peppers - Homemade or jarred.
- Marinated Olives (preferably kalamata)
- Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Zatar - A lovely blend of dried oregano, thyme (or marjoram), sumac, and toasted sesame seeds. A sprinkle of this spice on top of whipped feta dip is FANTASTIC!
Other Delicious Appetizers
- Easy Bread Dipping Oil
- Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- Healthier Hot Spinach Dip
- Cranberry Pecan Goat Cheese Log
- Homemade French Onion Dip
Are you a feta lover like myself? You will love these Feta Scones with Dill and Chives!
Whipped feta dip stays fresh for up to 4 days. Store completed dip in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic in the refrigerator.
This dip can be made 1 to 2 days ahead of time. Keep it tightly wrapped with plastic. Allow the dip to warm slightly at room temperature before serving. *Wait to garnish until service, especially if using olive oil.
This dip can be frozen. Transfer it to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip-top bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Keep in mind that the texture of the dip may be compensated slightly. *Do not freeze with garnishes.
Roasted Garlic Whipped Feta Dip
- toasted pita wedges or pita chips
- Garnishes - extra virgin olive oil, toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, toss the garlic cloves in the teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Transfer the olive oil-coated cloves to the prepared baking tray. Sparingly sprinkle with kosher salt (about ⅛ of a tsp).
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Whipped Feta Dip
- In a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients except for the 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend until smooth. While blending, drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with desired toppings.
Toasted Pita Bread (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush the pita bread with olive oil, on both sides Transfer the bread to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review below!
ANY QUESTIONS? Please leave a comment below!