This Homemade French Onion Dip is simple to make and absolutely addictive to eat. Primarily comprised of Greek Yogurt and homemade caramelized onions, this dip is way better than store-bought.
I think we all grew up eating French Onion Dip and crinkle potato chips. It is a tasty memory that I wanted to recreate.
Store-bought versions of this dip contain a world of added ingredients and stabilizers. This recipe uses Greek Yogurt and homemade caramelized onions, so it leaves you feeling a little less guilty when munching on this delicious dip.
- Greek Yogurt - If you do not have Greek Yogurt, sour cream is the best substitute. The Greek Yogurt provides the main body of this dip.
- Olive Oil Mayonnaise - Or regular mayonnaise.
- Homemade Caramelized Onions - Chopped small. Here is how to make caramelized onions.
- Seasonings - Onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and cayenne.
- Garnish the finished dip with finely diced chives or fresh parsley.
- Add bacon bits inside or as a garnish to this delicious dip.
- Splash a dash of Worcestershire sauce into the mixture when making this dip. This sauce gives the French Onion Dip a lovely umami flavor.
This recipe is very simple to make. Its flavor is best if you let it sit for at least an hour in the refrigerator before serving.
- In a medium-sized bowl, fold the Greek Yogurt, mayonnaise, and chopped caramelized onions until well combined.
- Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne powder. Stir the spices in until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dip to set for at least an hour in the refrigerator before serving.
What to Serve with This Dip
- Chips - Potato chips (preferably crinkled), pita chips
- Crostini Bread or Toasted Sliced French Bread
- Vegetables - Bell peppers, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots
- Use It as a Spread - Spread a portion of dip onto toasted bread when you make your next sandwich. It pairs beautifully with beef!
Frequently Asked Questions
This French Onion Dip will stay good for up to 4 days, which leaves plenty of time for snacking.
Store the finished dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Other Recipes You'll Love
This homemade French Onion Dip is incredibly easy to prepare. It is best practice to make the caramelized onions ahead of time so that they can cool before adding them to this dip. For tips and easy-to-follow instructions, check out How to Caramelize Onions. Serve this dip the next time you are looking for a flavorful appetizer or when the cravings hit.
French Onion Dip
- 1½ cups Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 cup caramelized onions chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder optional
- In a medium-sized bowl, fold the Greek Yogurt, mayonnaise, and caramelized onions until well combined.
- Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and cayenne powder. Stir until incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dip to set for at least an hour in the refrigerator before serving. Serve with chips or fresh vegetables.
- Store the finished dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review below!
Why is olive oil mayonnaise?? Pls guide
It is mayonnaise that is made with olive oil versus canola or vegetable oils. Feel free to use whatever mayonnaise you enjoy for this recipe.