Cook frozen asparagus in the air fryer with ease using this simple recipe. Asparagus spears come out crispy, tender, and delicious. This healthy side dish pairs with almost any meal and is perfect for weeknight cooking.
The best way to cook frozen asparagus is in the air fryer. The asparagus stalks come out crispy, tender, and flavorful. You have a delicious side dish with only a handful of ingredients and minutes of cooking time. This easy frozen vegetable recipe is a great option for busy weeknights and a great way to incorporate vegetables into any meal.
This air fryer asparagus recipe uses frozen asparagus, oil, fresh garlic, and seasoning. The simplicity of this dish makes it entirely customizable for other flavors and ingredients. See the different variations below.
The air fryer makes cooking frozen vegetables a breeze. My other easy air fryer recipes include air fryer frozen cauliflower, air fryer frozen green beans, and crispy air fryer frozen broccoli. The next time you need a quick side dish using frozen vegetables, reach for the air fryer.
Can you cook asparagus in the air fryer?
Air-frying frozen asparagus is the best method for cooking the delicious vegetable quickly. This easy recipe requires minimal ingredients and cooking time. Frozen asparagus is available all year round and frozen at its peak of freshness. It's fast to prepare and affordable. You can find the frozen vegetable in the freezer aisle of your local grocery store. I always purchase mine from Trader Joe's. Here are a few reasons to love this easy recipe:
- Quick Recipe - The air fryer makes cooking vegetables easy. The reliable gadget does all the work for you while cooking the vegetables in half the time as the oven.
- Simply Seasoned - This recipe requires only salt, pepper, and minced garlic. However, the seasoning options are endless.
- Perfectly Cooked - After only minutes of cooking, the asparagus spears are perfectly cooked with a desirable tender texture and crispy exterior.
- Healthy Side Dish - This air fryer side is low-carb, keto-friendly, and a healthy alternative to fries.
- Frozen Asparagus Spears - Utilizing frozen asparagus spears saves time and money. Frozen asparagus is ready to cook—no thawing, washing, or trimming required.
- Avocado Oil - Oil helps the asparagus spears become golden brown and crispy. Swap avocado oil for olive oil or melted butter, if desired.
- Garlic (minced)
- Salt and Black Pepper - This vegetable is seasoned with fresh garlic, salt, and black pepper. Feel free to play with other seasonings.
See the recipe card for the ingredient quantities.
How to Cook Frozen Asparagus in the Air Fryer
STEP 1 - Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cook the frozen asparagus in a single layer in the preheated air fryer for 10 minutes. *If needed, cook the asparagus in two separate batches.
STEP 2 - Stir the minced garlic into the tablespoon of oil. Toss the cooked asparagus spears in the garlic-oil mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
STEP 3 - Return the asparagus to the air fryer basket and cook for 3-5 minutes more until crispy. Serve immediately.
- Parmesan Cheese - Finish the asparagus with grated parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Lemon - Finish the asparagus with a squeeze of lemon juice for added zing.
- Spicy - Sprinkle ¼ to ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes over the asparagus alongside the other seasonings.
What to Serve with Air-Fried Asparagus
Air fryer frozen asparagus is the perfect side dish for any protein or sandwich. Enjoy it with burgers and sandwiches like these crockpot frozen turkey meatball subs. Serve the crispy asparagus spears alongside cooked proteins like steak, salmon, or chicken. Here are a few recipes I love to enjoy this healthy vegetable side dish with:
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken
- Bucatini Cacio e Pepe
- Chicken Pesto Naan Pizzas
Air-fried asparagus is best served immediately after cooking it, but enjoy leftovers up to 3 days after making it. Store leftover asparagus in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Tots
- Air Fryer Pierogies
- Cook frozen asparagus in a preheated air fryer for even cooking.
- Place asparagus in an even layer in the air fryer basket. If needed, cook the vegetables in multiple batches.
- Every air fryer is different so cooking times may vary. Keep a close eye on the asparagus towards the end of cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cook directly from frozen; there is no need to thaw frozen vegetables before air frying them. Cooking thawed frozen vegetables can result in a soggy texture.
Frozen asparagus is ready for cooking—there is no need to prepare or trim the stalks.
Like most vegetables, asparagus pairs well with most spices and seasoning blends. Try it with garlic powder, onion powder, minced onion, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or any of your favorite seasoning blends like ranch or steak seasoning.
Air fry asparagus for 10-15 minutes at 400 degrees F. The cooking time varies depending on the brand of the air fryer. Keep a close eye on the vegetables towards the end of cooking.
Frozen Asparagus in Air Fryer
- 12 oz frozen asparagus
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400° F. Cook the frozen asparagus in the preheated air fryer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir the minced garlic into the tablespoon of oil. Toss the cooked asparagus spears in the garlic-oil mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
- Return the asparagus to the preheated air fryer and cook for 3-5 minutes more until crispy. Serve immediately.