Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes are crispy, golden brown, and perfectly seasoned. This simple vegetable side dish requires little prep and little labor. The crispy-skinned potatoes are perfectly tender and fluffy inside. Enjoy smashed potatoes any night of the week!
Can you make smashed potatoes in the air fryer? You can - no boiling or peeling is required. Using the air fryer to make smashed potatoes is the shortcut you didn't know you needed. The trusty cooking appliance does most of the work.
Mini potatoes cook in two separate batches, creating a crispy, golden brown exterior and tender, fluffy interior. They are perfectly seasoned with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Olive oil helps create crispiness while also adding delicious flavor.
Like my Air fryer Sweet Potato Wedges, this air fryer potato recipe is perfect for any day of the week thanks to minimal ingredients. Smashed potatoes are easy to make and require little work, thanks to the air fryer. Try my other air fryer recipes for other simple side dishes and snacks.
Smashed Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Typically, making smashed potatoes requires boiling them before roasting them in the oven. Not only does using the air fryer eliminate the need for boiling, but it also eliminates added dishes and time. Here is why you will love making smashed potatoes in the air fryer:
- Minimal preparation and labor required
- The air fryer does most of the work for you
- Simple ingredients and pantry-staple spices
- Crispy, golden brown potato skin perfectly seasoned and garlicky
- Fluffy, soft interior
- Baby Gold Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
STEP 1 - Wash and dry the potatoes. Gently pierce each potato with a paring knife to help remove steam as the potatoes cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
HINT: Piercing the potatoes prevents the possibility of the potatoes popping in the air fryer.
STEP 2 - Transfer the mini potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
STEP 3 - Transfer the potatoes to a small sheet pan. Using a mug or cup, smash each potato down until flattened.
STEP 4 - Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and the seasonings, and evenly coat both sides.
STEP 5 - Return the potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Cook until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
Substitutions and Additions
- Optional Seasonings - Paprika, Smoked Paprika, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Herbs - Rosemary, Thyme
- Parmesan - Gently toss finished potatoes with ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese and finish with chopped Italian parsley.
- Cheese and Bacon - Finish smashed potatoes with bacon bits, shredded cheddar, and chives while the potatoes are still hot.
Smashed potatoes are best served immediately but will keep fresh for up to 3 days. Transfer cooled potatoes to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze smashed potatoes? I advise against it.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Potatoes
Smashed potatoes are delicious with cooked protein like steak, chicken, or fish. They are a healthier alternative to french fries. Serve them with your next burger or sandwich. Here are a few recipes I enjoy these delicious, crispy potatoes with:
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Frozen Turkey Meatball Subs
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- Cracker-Crusted Chicken Tenders
Thanks to ample seasoning, these smashed potatoes are delicious on their own. You can also enjoy them with a dipping sauce like ketchup or aioli. For a "cheater's aioli" try one of the recipes from my oven fries.
Other Air Fryer Sides
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Tots
- Air Fryer Frozen Green Beans
- Air Fryer Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- Crispy Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli
- Air Fryer Frozen Cauliflower
- Use small potatoes for this recipe - mini red potatoes, baby gold potatoes, and fingerling potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes in a single layer for even cooking. If your air fryer basket cannot fit all of the potatoes once smashed, cook them in two separate batches.
- Every air fryer basket cooks differently - cooking times may vary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can swap fresh garlic for garlic powder. Toss one to two minced garlic cloves into the olive oil before adding it to the potatoes.
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Gently pierce each potato with a paring knife to help remove steam as the potatoes cook—preheat the air fryer to 400° F.
- Place the mini potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
- Transfer the potatoes to a small sheet pan. Using a mug or cup, smash each potato down until flattened.
- Drizzle the potatoes with olive oil and the seasonings, and evenly coat both sides.
- Return the potatoes to the air fryer basket and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Cook until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with diced chives, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Kosher salt quantity is a suggestion, but use the desired amount to taste.
- STORAGE: Smashed potatoes are best served immediately but will keep fresh for up to 3 days. Transfer cooled potatoes to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator.