Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad is the perfect addition to summertime barbecues. It is made with simple ingredients and it is so easy to prepare!
This simple cherry tomato Caprese salad is a summertime favorite for sure. It is fresh, vibrant, and EASY to make. Can you really go wrong with a six-ingredient salad?
I have an affection for easy salad recipes, you will find a variety of simple recipes on this blog. Recipes like Easy Italian Pasta Salad, 5 Ingredient Slaw, and Avocado Arugula Salad with Lime Dressing. Any one of these salads would be amazing at your next barbecue and make a great accompaniment to this Caprese salad recipe.
Why You will Love this Recipe
- This Caprese salad recipe is incredibly simple, ready in just 10 minutes!
- It only uses 6 ingredients.
- It is a perfect salad for summertime barbecues and get-togethers.
- Despite the small amount of labor that goes into this salad, it looks impressive.
- Oh, and it is DELICIOUS!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cherry Tomatoes - I used a blend of heirloom cherry tomatoes, which are beautiful if you can find them. Otherwise, classic red cherry tomatoes taste the same and are much easier to find.
- Mozzarella Pearls - These cute little mozzarella pearls are found at all grocery stores. They are compact little balls of cheese. They are perfect for salads like this one. You can also buy classic mozzarella balls and cut them into ½-inch cubes.
- Fresh Basil - One of the most important components in a Caprese salad is basil. It is the prominent flavor of this classic salad. Avoid dark or bruised leaves, look for bright green basil when shopping.
- Garlic - One clove of minced garlic brings a lot of flavor to this simple salad. It can, however, be omitted if desired.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - With so few ingredients in a Caprese salad, it is important that you use high-quality olive oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for this recipe to avoid bitterness.
- Vinegar - The best vinegar to use in this recipe is red wine or balsamic vinegar. Their subtle sweetness is desirable in a recipe like this one. Another solid choice is white wine vinegar.
- Salt and Pepper - Use coarse salts, such as kosher or sea salt, and a finely ground pepper (freshly ground, if possible).
How to Make Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad
- Toss: In a large bowl, toss together the halved cherry tomatoes, mozzarella pearls, minced garlic, and torn basil leaves.
- Season: Pour the olive oil and vinegar over the tomato mixture. Season with a pinch of course salt and fine black pepper, to taste. Toss everything until well incorporated and all ingredients are coated.
- Serve: Transfer salad to a serving dish and sprinkle with an additional pinch of course salt.
What to Serve with This Recipe
This cherry tomato Caprese salad is an amazing side salad that goes well with a multitude of food items. Here are just a few of my favorite things to pair with this dish.
- Crusty bread - Scooped atop or served alongside
- Grilled chicken or Italian sausage
- Sliced avocado
- Reduced balsamic - Drizzled over the top
Frequently Asked Questions
Basil leaves are very delicate. The less force put upon them, the more fragrant they will be. That is why it is better to tear them versus chop them.
It is best to serve this salad as soon as it is made, to avoid soggy tomatoes and wilted basil leaves. If needed, prep the ingredients in advance and then toss everything together upon service.
Caprese salad is best eaten immediately after it has been made. However, second day leftovers are still tasty. The down fall of second day salad is soft tomatoes and wilted basil leaves.
Store any extra Caprese salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Other Recipes You'll Love
Add cherry tomato Caprese salad to your summertime salad rotation, you will not regret it! It is made from simple ingredients but delivers strong flavors. This salad pairs alongside most grilled meats and makes a mean appetizer when scooped atop toasted bread. Comment below if you make this recipe!
Cherry Tomato Caprese Salad
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 8 oz mozzarella pearls patted dry
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves torn into pieces
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar
- coarse salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, minced garlic, and basil leaves.
- Pour the olive oil and vinegar over the tomato mixture. Season with a pinch of course salt and fine black pepper, to taste. Toss everything until well incorporated and all ingredients are coated.
- Transfer salad to a serving dish and sprinkle with an additional pinch of course salt.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review below!