There is something about coleslaw that just screams summertime. It makes me think of barbecues and grilled meats. Coleslaw is so simple to prepare. It is quite versatile, granted that it can be used as a topping on a sandwich or as a delicious side. This 5 Ingredient Coleslaw is simple and hits all the notes of what a coleslaw should be. It’s creamy, crunchy, and slightly vinegary.
As stated above, coleslaw is generally an easy dish to prepare. You can make it ahead of time, approximately two hours before you plan on eating it. Otherwise, it will start to become slightly soggy and lose a bit of its crunch. If you are looking to prepare this ahead of time. I strongly suggest mixing together the dressing ingredients separately and tossing everything together right before service.
The 5 Ingredients
- Coleslaw: This recipe calls for one package of prepared coleslaw. While you can also shred your own cabbage, it may not have the same appearance as the one pictured. At the end of the day, it all comes down to your preference. Slicing a head of cabbage on your own is certainly economical.
- Mayonnaise: I prefer an olive oil derived mayo, however, use your favorite brand or type.
- Sugar: While I’ve seen many coleslaw recipes using honey as a sweetener, I am all for using the classic white sugar here. I find that it dissolves really nicely in the vinegar. And because of its residual sweetness, not much is needed to achieve the desired sweet flavor in this recipe.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: While many recipes call for the tried-and-true apple cider vinegar, I tend to almost always veer to rice wine vinegar. This is partially due to the fact that I always have it on hand. But, I love the taste of it, and I feel its acidity is slightly lighter and more appeasing in certain recipes.
- Scallions: I always have scallions on hand. I put them in so many different things, from eggs to green salads. I love what they do for coleslaw. They add color and a much needed bite without being overwhelming.
This simple coleslaw comes together in about 5 to 10 minutes. It’s literally that easy.
First, pour the package of prepared coleslaw into a medium to large bowl. Add the diced scallions, and toss together.
In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and vinegar until the sugar is dissolved. Add the mayo, and whisk until emulsified and well combined.
Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture. Toss to coat, making sure everything is well coated in the dressing.
Obviously, this recipe is five ingredients to keep it classic and simple. While five ingredients is all you need, you can certainly add to this recipe and play with the ingredients. While this list includes a number of ideas, the options are quite endless.
Some lovely additions include:
- Diced apples
- Sesame Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Shredded Carrots
- Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- Rasins or Currants
- Diced Jicama
I hope this 5 Ingredient Coleslaw brings you happy summertime feelings. I know this year has been one for the books, and this summer hasn’t quite felt like summer. We have to make the most of what we’ve got.
Stay safe and stay strong <3
You may also like:
- Avocado Arugula Salad with Lime Dressing
- Nectarine Spinach Salad
- Arugula Farro Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese
5 Ingredient Coleslaw
- 1 9 oz package of coleslaw mix
- 5 scallions diced
- ⅓ cup mayonaise
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Pour the package of prepared coleslaw into a medium to large bowl. Add the diced scallions, and toss together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and vinegar until the sugar is dissolved. Add the mayo, and whisk until emulsified and well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture. Toss to coat, making sure everything is well coated in the dressing. Serve immediately.
- You can mix together the dressing in a blender, if desired.
Looking for another summertime classic?