This Avocado Arugula Salad is simple and vibrant! The Lime Dressing is zingy and fresh, which is perfect when paired with avocado.
I eat a salad at least once a day. I love the idea of eating raw, fresh veggies while also enjoying a nutrient dense meal. While I alternate the greens I use, arugula is definitely at the top of my list. It has a delightful bitterness that works well with a multitude of flavors. I also find the leaves to be very beautiful. This Avocado Arugula Salad with Lime Dressing is not only beautiful to look at, but also absolutely delicious to eat.
Ingredients in Avocado Arugula Salad
- Arugula: Every good salad needs a base of hearty greens. In the case of this salad, it's slightly bitter arugula. If you do not like this green, you can certainly swap it out for something else like chopped kale or baby spinach.
- Avocado: When you are making a green focused salad like this one, avocado is a must! Make sure that your avocados are ripe when you use them. They should be soft, but firm enough to hold their shape.
- Red Onion: Slices of red onion add a nice bite to this salad. They amp up the flavor and accompany the other ingredients in a delicious way.
- Persian Cucumbers: While you can certainly use a classic cucumber, or English cucumber here, I find that the Persian cucumbers size works well in this salad.
- Microgreens: The microgreens on this salad are used not only as a beautiful garnish, but for added nutrients too. Feel free to use what every kind you like. I ended up using a pre-blended package.
- Lime Dressing: Avocados and lime go hand-in-hand. This dressing is a blend of lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, honey, and seasoning. It is simple in flavor and pairs very nicely with the other ingredients in this salad.
How to make this recipe
This salad is relatively quick to throw together. I would wait to dress the salad until service, as the arugula can get weepy.
For the Salad: The first step is to prep your ingredients. This means slicing the cucumbers, red onion, and avocado. As with above, if you are not serving right away, wait to slice the avocado until right before service. Zest and juice the limes.
For the Lime Dressing: whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
Toss the arugula, cucumber, and red onion with half of the dressing. Place into your serving bowl or dish. Arrange sliced avocado pieces over the top. Finally, garnish with the microgreens. Drizzle with remaining dressing, if desired or serve remaining dressing on the side.
I kept this Avocado Arugula Salad very simple. Modifications could be made, of course.
- Cilantro would be really lovely here with the avocado and lime.
- A crumbled feta over the top would also play well with the flavor profile.
- I also tried sprinkling this salad with "everything bagel seasoning" and it was delicious as well.
Have fun with it! Healthy food doesn't have to be boring.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- Nectarine Spinach Salad
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Arugula Farro Salad with Strawberries
- Farro Salad with Fruit
- Apple Farro and Bacon Salad
- 10 Labor Day Weekend Salads and Sides
I hope you enjoy this avocado arugula salad. It's a fresh, vibrant dish perfect for summertime. While it may be August, summer is still here to be enjoyed. If you make this salad, comment below and let me know what you think. I'd also love to see if you make any modifications.
Avocado Arugula Salad with Lime Dressing
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz arugula
- ¼ red onion sliced thin
- 4 Persian cucumbers sliced and halved
- 2 ripe avocados sliced
- ¼ cup microgreens for garnish
- For the Dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the arugula, cucumber, and red onion with half of the dressing. Place into your serving bowl or dish. Arrange sliced avocado pieces over the top. Finally, garnish with the microgreens.
- Drizzle with remaining dressing, if desired or serve remaining dressing on the side. Serve immediately.
- Wait to dress the salad until service, as the arugula can get weepy.
- Do not slice avocados until right before service to avoid browning.
- See post for suggested modifications or substitutions.