This is the best Healthy Farro Salad. Thanks to tangy-sweet homemade honey mustard vinaigrette and tart, fresh fruit, this salad hits all of the flavor notes. Easily customizable and perfect for lunchtime, this flavorful cold farro salad is one you will make again and again. Simple, dairy-free, and ready in 25-minutes!
Hearty grain salads are always a good idea for satiating lunch. This healthy farro salad is hearty, wholesome, and packed with flavor. Leafy greens and farro are coated in sweet-tangy, homemade Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. The salad is finished with crunchy, heart-healthy walnuts and fresh fruit.
The beauty of this salad is not only its delicious flavor but versatility. Toss in almost any fruit or nut. Use whatever you have on hand. This simple, cold salad has tons of texture thanks to crunchy nuts and chewy farro.
Like most salads, this farro salad can be served as a side. Thanks to its nutrient-dense ingredients, this grain salad can stand alone as a complete meal. What's not to love about a healthy, customizable, and DELICIOUS salad?
You will love this easy grain salad!
- This salad is delicious as a side or lunch. Perfect for meal prep, you can transfer servings to individual jars. Top with dressing and enjoy! A healthy, make-ahead lunch.
- This cold farro salad is not only delicious but satiating too. It contains good-for-you ingredients like farro, leafy greens, walnuts, and fresh fruit.
- This easy recipe works well with almost any fruit, leafy green, and nut; versatile and easily customizable. Use what you have on hand.
- Easy to make, this quick grain salad recipe is ready in 25 minutes.
- Spring Mix
- Farro (cooked)
- Green Apple (sliced)
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
How do you cook farro for salad?
The process is similar to cooking pasta. Bring a pot half full of water to a boil. Add the farro and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the farro is tender but still has a bite. Drain and cool before adding it in with the rest of the salad ingredients.
Where do you buy farro? Most grocery stores carry farro. You will find it in the same aisle as quinoa and rice. Easily order Bob's Red Mill Farro on Amazon. My all-time favorite farro, though, is Trader Joe's 10-Minute Farro. It's cooked the same way as pasta - ready in 10 minutes.
- For the Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, and garlic powder until emulsified and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Hint: Add all of the ingredients into a jar. Top the jar with a lid and shake until everything is emulsified.
- For the Salad: In a large bowl, combine the greens, cooled farro, apple slices, and walnuts. Pour the dressing into the mixture and toss until coated. You may not use all of the dressing, it depends on your preference. Add the raspberries and gently toss to combine so you do not crush the berries. Save a few raspberries for garnish. Serve immediately.
- Spring Mix - Arugula, Kale, Spinach
- Farro - Barley, Pearled Cous Cous, Quinoa
- Fruit - Blackberries, Blueberries, Cherries, Cranberries, Grapes, Pomegranate Seeds, Orange Segments
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Balsamic Vinegar, Sherry Vinegar, Red Wine Vinegar, Lemon Juice
- Walnuts - Pecans, Almonds, Cashews, Pistachios
- Add Cheese - This salad is made dairy-free, but it is also delicious (like most things) with the addition of cheese. Top with crumbled feta, goat cheese, blue cheese, or shredded parmesan.
- Add Protein - Top or toss in cooked chicken or bacon. You can also toss in chickpeas too.
- Mix in Fresh Herbs - Fragrant herbs emphasize the sweet fruit flavors. Toss in fresh mint, basil, or parsley. For added visual appeal, garnish with the herbs too.
- Other Mix-Ins - While this recipe is delicious as is, it is equally as delicious with some added ingredients. I love this grain salad with sliced onions; try red or white. Creamy avocado tastes excellent with the honey mustard dressing and other ingredients too.
Try my healthy apple, farro, and bacon variation of this recipe.
Other Salad Favorites
- Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Strawberry Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese and Farro
- Summer Pesto Pasta Salad
- Apple Farro and Bacon Salad
- Greek Orzo Salad with Feta and Chickpeas
- Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless Stockpot
- Stainless Steel Colander
- Pyrex Prepware 4-Quart Rimmed Mixing Bowl
- Ytuomzi Chef's Knife with Ergonomic Handle Professional Chef Knife 8-Inch Forged
- HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board (3-Piece Set)
What to serve with farro salad
What goes with farro salad? This healthy, hearty salad can be both a side or a meal all its own. Top with cooked chicken, salmon, or beans. Portion out servings for lunch or serve alongside grilled meats, sausages, and burgers. It's a healthy side dish for sandwiches. It makes a great picnic salad too. Here are a few dishes I love to serve this salad with.
- Easy Slow-Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- Avocado Tuna Salad
- Easy Egg Salad with Pickles
- Cracker-Crusted Chicken Nuggets
Dressed and tossed with apple slices, this salad is best served immediately.
Undressed, this salad is good for up to 3 days. If storing, toss apple slices in citrus juice or wait to add until service. Store the dressing on the side, in one container, or in individual portions for lunch prep. Store tossed salad in an airtight container or individual jars.
Can you freeze farro salad? Do not freeze the salad once assembled. What you can freeze, however, is the cooked farro.
- Season the farro with salt and pepper while it is still warm.
- If not serving right away, wait to dress the salad to avoid wilted leafy greens. Toss apple slices in citrus juice, lemon, or lime to prevent browning, or wait to add apple slices until service.
- Prep the other ingredients while the farro is cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Farro salad is healthy. Hearty, wholesome farro is loaded with nutrients, fiber, and protein. This whole grain has 5g of protein per serving. Leafy greens are packed with vitamins and nutrients. Add extra-virgin olive oil, walnuts, and fresh fruit to the mix, and you have a nutrient-dense lunch or side dish.
This salad is best served cold, but can be served warm. If serving warm use leafy greens such as arugula or kale.
Healthy Farro Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, and garlic powder in a small bowl until emulsified and well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Combine the greens, farro, apple slices, and walnuts in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss until coated. You may not use all of the dressing, it depends on your preference.
- Add the raspberries and gently toss to combine, so you do not crush the berries. Save a few raspberries for garnish.
- Serve immediately.