These chocolate-covered Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars will make you feel like a kid again. These bars are a delicious blend of Cheerios, marshmallows, and peanut butter.
Cereal treats are one of those items that I literally cannot stop eating once I've started, especially when they are homemade. When we were little, we used to enjoy the store-bought Cheerio bars with the creamy center. I wanted to recreate that experience but a made-from-scratch variation, a variation with peanut butter.
These peanut butter Cheerio bars are covered in a semi-sweet chocolate layer. They are sweet, nutty, and irresistible, especially when paired with a cold glass of milk.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Unsalted Butter
- Creamy Peanut Butter - It is important to use creamy peanut butter for these cereal bars. The smooth peanut butter melts right into the butter creating a luscious mixture for the marshmallows to melt into.
- Mini Marshmallows
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Cheerios Cereal - This recipe calls for the classic version, but Honey Nut Cheerios work well in this recipe too.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - The chocolate chips are melted for a lovely chocolate topping to pair with the peanut butter flavor of the treats.
- Avocado Oil - Avocado oil is always my go-to due to its neutral flavor, however, canola and coconut oil can be used in substitution. The oil helps keep the chocolate from drying out and also provides a softer consistency once the chocolate sets.
Coat the measuring cup in cooking spray before adding the peanut butter. It will be substantially easier to remove the sticky ingredient.
Similarly, grease the rubber spatula prior to pressing the cereal mixture into the prepared dish. The cooking spray will assist in keeping the spatula from sticking to the mixture. If using your hands, use a small piece of wax paper to press the mixture into the baking pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store these cereal bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These Cheerio bars can actually be frozen. Transfer the bars to an airtight container or freezer-safe zip-top bag, separating layers with wax paper. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw the cereal treats in the refrigerator. Allow the bars to come to room temperature before storing.
I advise against it. Natural peanut butter lacks stabilizers. This means that the oils separate from the ground nut mixture, especially at warm temperatures. The oil separation will affect the overall texture of the Cheerio bars per this recipe.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- Strawberries and Cream Rice Krispie Treats
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Fudgy Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Caramel Apple Pecan Rice Krispie Treats
- S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
These peanut butter Cheerio bars are incredibly simple and come together quickly. What's not to love about cereal, peanut butter, and marshmallows? Pair one of these bars with a glass of cold milk and bring back those childhood memories.
Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (10oz.) package mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2½ tsp avocado oil
- Coat a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Melt the butter and peanut butter in a large stockpot over low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the entire package of marshmallows. Cook, stirring, until the marshmallows, have melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Immediately stir in the Cheerios until they are all coated. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Using a spatula or your hand, firmly press the mixture into an even layer. Allow the treats to cool to room temperature.
- Once the treats have cooled, make the chocolate topping. In the microwave or a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips. Once melted, stir in the avocado oil. Pour the chocolate over the treats and smooth into one even layer.
- Allow the chocolate topping to set for at least 2 hours before cutting into slices.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review below!