Even though it doesn’t feel like June, the weather is telling a different story. Now I’ve got summer on the mind. Nothing screams summer more than light bites and cold treats. This Arugula Farro Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese is everything you could ever want in a summer salad.
Now let’s talk salad. We have salad probably six out of the seven days in a week. It’s usually my go-to lunch item due to its healthy ingredients and versatility. There is so much you can do with it from the greens to the dressing to the toppings. Obviously, you want a sturdy base of greens. Store bought dressing or homemade, the key is to find dressing that has good for you, real ingredients. And, it’s all about balance when it comes to the rest of it.
- Greens: My favorite salad greens include chopped kale, baby spinach, arugula, and spring mix. You can find some amazing blends at the store too, like “super greens” and “50/50” blends. Greens like kale take to salad dressing differently than say spring mix. So, if you are prepping ahead of time, keep this in mind.
- Dressings: Honestly, I like both vinaigrettes and creamy dressings. Creamy dressings can be dangerous in the calories, so make sure to read the labels carefully both for nutrition and for ingredients. Some of my favorite store bought brands include: Bolthouse Farms (yogurt based) and Drew’s Organics. Olive oil mixed with either lemon juice or vinegar makes for an easy, healthy dressing alternative as well.
- Cheeses: We always keep multiple types of cheeses on hand. I like to alternate with crumbled feta, goat cheese, and shredded cheeses. They all allow for easy incorporation and a nice accompaniment to the rest of the salad ingredients.
- Grains: I’m all about mixing grains with greens. My two staple grains are farro and quinoa. I love Kirkland brand quinoa for its value and ease. Couscous is also a great, cheap option as well.
- Toppings: So clearly, the options here are unlimited. What I always keep on hand in terms of veggie inclusions are shredded carrots, slaw, onions, micro greens, and cucumbers. Otherwise, pantry staples here include dried cranberries, roasted or raw nut blends, and sunflower seeds. And of course, avocado.
In the case of this arugula farro salad, I blended bitter greens, hearty farro, and sweet strawberries with a homemade dressing. The slivered almonds add crunch and the crumbles of goat cheese add a much needed creaminess. All the flavors and ingredients in this salad work magically together and scream SUMMER!
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as we do. It’s a perfect side to your barbecue or as a main dinner event with the addition of sliced chicken. Whatever way you play it, I think you will enjoy the flavors of this arugula farro salad. And, I hope it brings you thoughts of summertime.
Stay strong and stay safe <3
Looking for another great summer salad?
Arugula Farro Salad with Strawberries and Goat Cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and sugar until well combined and sugar is disolved.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugala, farro, half of the strawberries, and ⅔ of the salad dressing. Place into serving bowl. Arrange remaining strawberries, crumbled goat cheese, and sliced almonds on top. Place remaining ⅓ of salad dressing in a small carafe, for service. Serve immediately.
- Rice wine vinegar can be used instead of red wine vinegar.
- If you like your salad well dressed, feel free to toss the greens and farro in all of the dressing instead of reserving a portion of it.