Well it's almost June. It is crazy to think that quarantine began in March. While it feels like it has been a long time, it has also felt like it has gone by quickly. In any case, it is almost June and almost summertime! We have been eating very light and healthy as it has been HOT outside the past few days. But, I always leave room for a little something sweet! These Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are just what I needed.
These bars are small batch, only makes a 9-by-9 inch pan (or an 8-by-8 inch pan.) They are a breeze to make. And, they satisfy any urge you have for a chocolate chip cookie without the added process and dishes. These chocolate chip cookie bars are buttery and full of brown sugar goodness. They have a tender crumb, but no fork is required.
What is in these yummy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars?
- Flour: This recipe only uses 1 and ½ cups of flour. I used classic all-purpose flour for its ease, but feel free to play with a gluten-free flour instead.
- Sugar: This recipe requires both light brown and granulated (white) sugars. The light brown sugar gives these bars a nice golden color and a slight caramel flavor, which is desired in a good chocolate chip cookie. It also helps keep this bars moist. The white sugar helps these cookie bars rise.
- Butter: This recipe requires melted butter which helps with the overall texture of the bar. However, it does not help in the rise of the bar, so the baking powder quantity is higher.
- Chocolate Chips: The use of semi-sweet chocolate chips is key for a classic chocolate chip cookie. Enough said.
You may also like:
These Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars take roughly 25 minutes in the oven. The process leaves you with few dishes and all the satisfaction of a chocolate chip cookie. They are fantastic while still warm because of the gooey chocolate chips. A quick zap in the microwave can help you achieve this on the second day of eating these. And as always, a glass of milk (in our case oat) makes the perfect accompaniment to one of these yummy cookie bars.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and line a baking pan with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together the melted butter and both sugars until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing until well incorporated and combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and evenly spread it out. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces. Store in an air-tight container for approx. 5-7 days.