Well, it is June. I really cannot believe it, but it’s true. This year has been…interesting. Going into 2020, we could have never guessed what was to come. But, here we are. As we come into the summer months, lighter dishes are a must. These Spicy Asian Turkey Rice Bowls don’t disappoint. Addictively spicy and full of good for you ingredients, these bowls are the perfect meal for a Friday in June.
These spicy Asian turkey rice bowls are more-so Asian fusion. I used Serrano Chilis in the recipe, which are grown in the Mexican region. The chili paste of choice, Sambal Oelek, is Indonesian. And soy sauce is of Chinese origin. However, the flavors marry so well together in this dish.
INGREDIENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Rice: I used basmati because that is what we had on hand, but the turkey would be great with jasmine or brown rice (which has added nutrients.) Honestly, cauliflower rice would be a great alternative as well.
- Serrano Chilis: I know these are of Mexican organ, but I love the spice they provide. You can use Thai chili peppers as an alternative, but keep in mind the Scoville heat units are higher. Jalapeños would make a great substitution as well.
- Mushrooms: I used porcini mushrooms here, again because that is what I had on hand. Shitake or button mushrooms would make a great substitution.
- Broccoli Slaw: Most stores carry broccoli slaw, but if you cannot find it coleslaw is an easy alternative. Regular red or green cabbage would work well here as well.
- Chili Paste: I used Sambal Oelek here, which I love to use. But, you could substitute this with Sriracha, Thai red chili paste or Gochujang (Korean chili paste.)
I hope you enjoy these spicy Asian turkey rice bowls as much as we did. The spice is just right in my book. Enough to make your lips tingle, but not so much that you’re eyes are watering. Keep in mind that sometimes fresh chilis can be hotter than others, so taste before you add the full tbsp of chili paste. In addition, feel free to go crazy with the toppings. A good bowl is nothing without its toppings!
Stay strong and stay safe <3
Looking for another delicious rice dish?
Spicy Asian Turkey Rice Bowls
- 1 cup uncooked rice white or basmati
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup porcini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup broccoli slaw
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 serrano chilis sliced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 scallions chopped
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili paste (I used Sambal Oelek.)
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil. Add mushrooms and broccoli slaw. Cook until slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, cook for an additional minute.
- Add ground turkey and cook until browned. Next, add the ginger, sliced Serrano chilis, and scallions. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, chili paste, and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Pour over turkey mixture, and stir to combine. Allow to cook until liquid is almost completely absorved into meat mixture and everything is well coated, stirring occasionaly.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with peanuts, diced scallions, and fresh cilantro. Drizzle with toasted sesame oil if desired.
- See substitutions in above post.
- There will still be some remaining liquid from soy sauce blend. The rice is there to soak up all those juices.