This Easy Vegetable Fried Rice recipe is packed with vegetables and full of umami flavor.
Incorporating plentiful vegetables into lunches and dinners is important, easy, and can be delicious. This easy vegetable fried rice recipe is one of our favorite examples of this philosophy. Not only is it packed with veggies and umami flavor, the caramelization of the rice in the pan makes it taste as good as take-out, if not better.
You can even make this vegetable fried rice recipe using frozen vegetables, making it an easy healthy option for a weeknight meal.
What you need to make this Vegetable Fried Rice:
The ingredients for this fried rice are straightforward, flexible, and accessible; making it easy to make vegetable fried rice in the comfort of your own home. Most of the ingredients are simple and most kitchen's will likely already have them on hand. The rice needs to be completely cooled. The best method is to make the rice the night before and refrigerate it overnight. Or, if you have leftover rice, even better. When cold rice hits the hot pan it fries, versus warm rice which will clump up and become slightly soggy.
You will need a fairly large nonstick pan to make this meal, or a wok if you have one. There are a lot of yummy ingredients, so you'll need enough room for everything.
As far as the ginger, we recommend the little frozen cubes you find at the grocery store in the freezer section. They make life very easy, but if you can't find them at the store, place unused fresh ginger in the freezer until the next time you use it.
The sauce is comprised of low-sodium soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, and a small amount of sugar.
You can also tailor what vegetables you include in this dish based on what you have at home. For example, shredded carrots, chopped cabbage, and mushrooms can make a fabulous vegetable fried rice. You can also use frozen vegetables with this fried rice recipe. Often, I will add shrimp or pork for added protein. If that is the case, I usually add approximately 8 oz.
How to make this easy recipe
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- Cook the eggs: In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. Heat a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of avocado oil. Pour the eggs into the pan and stir until scrambled and cooked. Remove from heat. Place scrambled eggs on a small plate, set them aside.
- Sauté the vegetables: In the same large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of avocado oil. Add the white onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Sauté until soft, about 5 -7 minutes. Stir in the ginger, cook for an additional minute.
- Sauté the rice and sauce: Pour the 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil into the pan with the vegetables. Add the brown rice, green onions, and sauce. Stir to combine. Continue cooking for an additional 3 – 5 minutes to fry the rice, stirring occasionally.
- Reintroduce the eggs: Stir in the eggs. Remove the pan from the heat. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Recipes You'll Love⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Spicy Asian Turkey Rice Bowls
- Thai Inspired Jicama Tacos
- Oven Fries with "Aioli"-Two Ways
- Easy Fried Rice - Better Than Takeout
I hope you enjoy this recipe for vegetable fried rice as much as we do. If you are craving take-out but don't want to venture outside, this vegetable fried rice is just what you need. Comment below if you make this recipe!
Vegetable Fried Rice
For the Sauce
- ½ tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
For the Fried Rice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus 1 teaspoon for the eggs
- 2 carrots peeled and diced small
- 1 cup mushrooms diced medium
- ½ cup green bell pepper diced small
- ¼ cup white onion diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 scallions thinnly sliced
- 2 cups chilled, cooked rice short-grain white rice or brown rice
- In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. Heat a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of avocado oil. Pour eggs into the pan and stir until scrambled and cooked. Remove from heat. Place scrambled eggs on a small plate, set them aside.
- In the same large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of avocado oil. Add the white onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms. Sauté until soft, about 5 -7 minutes. Stir in the ginger, cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the eggs. Remove the pan from the heat. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Only use chilled rice. Allow the rice to cool in the fridge for at least four hours (preferably over night.)
- Feel free to substitute whatever veggies you'd like, just keep in mind cooking temperatures.
- Avocado oil can be substituted with another high temp cooking oil.
- Possible protein additions (8-oz.): frozen shrimp, cubed pork, sliced chicken.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!