Like most, I am really trying to pay close attention to my eating habits at this point in the quarantine. (Snacking has been a problem, eek!) I usually do a good job at incorporating plentiful vegetables into our lunches and dinners. This vegetable fried rice is one of our favorites. It’s packed with veggies and umami flavor. It’s very close to the take-out kind, especially when the rice becomes caramelized in the pan.
I make this vegetable fried rice fairly frequently since we always have the ingredients on hand. The vegetables vary depending on what I need to use up, but shredded carrots and mushrooms are always part of this delicious dish. Often, I will add shrimp or pork for added protein. If that is the case, I usually add approximately 8 oz.
You will need a fairly large nonstick pan to make this meal. There are a lot of yummy ingredients, so you’ll need enough room for everything. I used a frozen packet of brown rice, which made things simple. You can, however, prepare rice ahead of time and store it in the freezer so it becomes sticky (preferably made the night before.) As far as the ginger, I love the little frozen cubes you find at the grocery store in the freezer section. They make life very easy, but if you can’t find them store, place unused fresh ginger in the freezer until the next time you use it. (You can thank me later.)
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you are craving take-out, but don’t want to venture outside, this vegetable fried rice is just what you need.
Stay safe and stay strong <3
Need to use up the rest of those scallions? Try these Goat Cheese Scallion Scones. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp avocado oil plus 1 tsp for the eggs
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 10-oz package frozen brown rice
- 1 cup baby spinach
- In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Whisk to combine, set aside.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs. Heat a small non-stick pan with a tsp of avocado oil. Pour eggs into pan and stir until scrambled and cooked. Remove from heat. Place scrambled eggs on a small plate, set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the tbsp of avocado oil. Add the shredded carrots. Cook until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, and cook until softened about 5 minutes. (Cover pan with lid or foil to steam veggies and help with cooking.)
- Add the garlic, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Next, add ginger and scallions. Stir to combine. Pour frozen brown rice packet into pan (carefully, the pan is hot.) Stir with other ingredients, and cook until thawed.
- Pour in soy sauce mixture, stirring until everything is coated. Allow to cook and caramelize, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Add in the scrambled eggs and spinach, stir to incorporate. Serve while hot.
- Rice can be substituted, but if making fresh, allow it to cool in the fridge for at least four hours (preferably over night.)
- Feel free to substitute whatever veggies you'd like, just keep in mind cooking temperatures.
- Avocado oil can be substituted with another high temp cooking oil.
- Possible protein additions (8-oz.): frozen shrimp, cubed pork, sliced chicken.