Slow-Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken is easy and delicious. Throw all the ingredients into the slow cooker, and you'll have tender, flavorful chicken in hours with minimal effort. Serve over rice or scoop into tortillas.
Slow-cooked chicken marinates in salsa verde and spices for an easy, flavorful dinner. This slow-cooker salsa verde chicken is something that I make regularly. Like my slow-cooker buffalo chicken, the recipe is simple, and the slow cooker does all the cooking.
Once the chicken has cooked, low and slow, you are left with tender, flavorful chicken that's perfect for scooping inside tortillas or over rice. Serve it with homemade guacamole or sour cream - remember the hot sauce.
Salsa Verde Chicken
What is salsa verde? It is a green salsa made from ripe tomatillos versus tomatoes. Depending on the brand, it can range from mild to spicy in flavor. For this recipe, salsa verde coats slow-cooked chicken and onion. The chicken marinates in the salsa for a pronounced delicious taste. Here is why you will love this salsa verde chicken recipe:
- This recipe only uses only five simple ingredients.
- The slow cooker does all of the work for you.
- The slow-cooked chicken is juicy and tender - it shreds with little effort.
- Serve the flavorful chicken in a multitude of ways.
This recipe is straightforward and has only five ingredients. Plus, it's perfect for a large group or early-week meal preparation. What are the five ingredients in this recipe?
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- White Onion (minced)
- Salsa Verde (one 12oz jar)
- Ground Cumin
- Ground Oregano
- Salt and Black Pepper
See the recipe card for ingredient quantities.
STEP 1 - Spread the diced onion at the base of the slow-cooker pot.
STEP 2 - Place the chicken breast atop the onion in an even layer.
STEP 3 - Sprinkle the chicken with cumin, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the entire jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
STEP 4 - Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours; cooking times may vary depending on the slow cooker. Once cooked, shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker. Stir the shredded chicken into the juices—season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer the cooled chicken to an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Slow Cooker Favorites
- Crockpot Frozen Turkey Meatball Subs
- Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken
What to Serve with Slow-Cooker Chicken
Serve this chicken in many ways: over rice, in tortillas, you name it. Here are some of my favorite toppings to go with this dish:
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt - Adds a nice creaminess and cooling effect if you use a spicier prepared salsa.
- Diced Scallions or Diced Red Onion
- Fresh Cilantro
- Shredded Cheese or Crumbled Cotija Cheese
- Cooked Corn or Roasted Bell Peppers
- Hot Sauce - My go-to is always Frank's Red Hot.
I love my Crock-Pot 3.5 Quart Casserole Manual Slow Cooker. Its shallow design cooks things fast - it has been my trusty slow cooker for years.
- For best results, use unfrozen chicken for this recipe.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken in the slow cooker dish quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Transfer cooled chicken to an airtight, freezer-safe container - freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw the chicken in the refrigerator before eating.
Yes! I have made this dish with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. It works great with either form of chicken, but cooking times will vary.
I love Trader Joe's Salsa Verde; it's always been my favorite. It has a mildly spicy flavor, but there are spicier brands. I always serve salsa verde chicken with additional hot sauce.
Slow-Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1½ lbs raw skinless chicken breast
- 1 small, or ½ a medium white onion diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 12 oz salsa verde I used Trader Joe's brand.
- Spread the diced onion at the base of the slow-cooker pot. Place the chicken breast atop the onion in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the cumin, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the entire jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours; cooking times may vary depending on the slow cooker. Once cooked, shred the chicken with two forks in the slow cooker. Stir the shredded chicken into the juices—season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve over rice or in tortillas. If desired, top with sour cream (or Greek yogurt), diced scallions, cilantro, and hot sauce.