Sometimes you just need a cookie. These Chocolate Sugar Cookies satisfy that need. Perfect with a glass of milk, these cookies provide all you love about sugar cookies, but with a lovely hint of cocoa.
don’t know about you, but I am struggling to stay motivated on most days. There is still so much uncertainty and no real end in sight. Despite the unknowing and day-to-day struggles, I can honestly say that I have been taking some time to improve upon myself. I have resumed old hobbies and activities that I failed to keep up with previously while in the work grind. I am baking, recipe creating, and blogging more (hence these Chocolate Sugar Cookies.) In addition to that, I have been utilizing my many awesome coloring books and reading more. Meditation has once again become a regular afternoon practice. And, I am pulling out new recipes to cook for dinner. It’s difficult to focus on other things outside of the scope of what is going on, but it is imperative to distract yourself with good, positive activities.
During this time, we have seen the unfortunate selfishness in humanity (for example, grocery store shortages.) Panic can bring out the worst in us. But, even more so, we have seen the inherent beauty of human beings. What we need and want more than anything is a sense of community. People have been stepping up and doing what they can in these desperate times. I am in awe of so many right now.
Like most, I am going stir-crazy inside my apartment. Though still unemployed with no clear timeline as to when I will get back to work, I am grateful for the extra time to recenter myself. And I truly hope that you have the opportunity to do the same.
Chocolate is almost always the answer. In this case, it’s Chocolate Sugar Cookies.
These Chocolate Sugar Cookies are subtly sweet and chocolaty. They are the perfect accompaniment to coffee, hot cocoa, or tea. The cookies are both chewy and crispy all at the same time, which is utterly satisfying. They would be fantastic sandwiched around ice cream or marshmallow fluff. A simple cookie to calm the chaos around us. This recipe only uses one egg and is quick to make. I hope you are able to find some solace in baking, as I do. And, it is my sincerest hope that you and yours will get through these tough times, alone together.
You may also like:
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp instant coffee
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla, mixing until combined. Add instant coffee, mix to combine.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture in three parts, mixing well and making sure to scrape bowl after each addition.
- Scoop dough and place onto uncreased sheet tray, 2-in apart. Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before transferring to cooling rack. Repeat process with remaining dough.