I don’t know about you, but I love a good scone. Savory scones are a breed of their own. The cheddar chive combination in this recipe makes them utterly irresistible. They make a great breakfast, snack or accompaniment to soup. Once you start eating them, quite frankly it’s hard to stop. They are great on their own or slathered in butter. Make yourself a batch of cheddar chive scones and basque in the deliciousness.
These scones have all of the usual suspects: all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, and heavy cream. When I make scones, I always use heavy cream. If I do not have any on hand, I will substitute with half-and-half. However, the texture varies in substitution. The rich heavy cream makes scones ten times better!
Of course, there is cheddar and chives in this recipe. That is where the overall flavor comes from. When I think savory scones, I almost always think cheese. It melts into the dough which creates an irresistible flavor and texture. The chives add a nice bite.
What is the procedure to making this delicious Cheddar Chive Scones?
If you have not yet made scones, the procedure is super simple. The key is not to over-mix.
The first step is to whisk together your dry ingredients and the chives. Then, stir in the cheese. (“fold in the cheese” – For Schitt’s Creek fans)
Add some of the heavy cream in, mix until absorbed. Add the remaining cream until combined. Pour out dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead. Form the dough into a disk, cut into six triangles. Place on a baking sheet and chill for about an hour in the refrigerator until firm.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the scones with heavy cream and bake until golden brown and dough has cooked through, about 16-20 minutes.
These Cheddar Chive Scones are the real deal. They make a great breakfast, snack or accompaniment to soup. Once you start eating them, quite frankly it’s hard to stop. They are great on their own or slathered in butter. Make yourself a batch of cheddar chive scones and basque in the deliciousness.
You may also like:
- Feta Scones with Dill and Chives
- Goat Cheese Scallion Scones
- Brown Sugar Pecan Scones
- Almond Raspberry Scones
Cheddar Chive Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbso baking powder
- 1 tsp course salt
- 1/4 cup chives finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream plus more for brushing
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and chives. Stir in grated cheese.
- Add one cup of heavy cream into dry ingredients, gently mix together until cream has been completely absorbed. Add in remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream. Mix just until combined.
- Lightly knead dough on a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, form dough into a slightly flattened circle about 1 in thick. Using a bench scraper or knife, cut evenly into 6 large triangles. Separate and place on a non-stick baking sheet, making sure to leave space between them. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush scones with heavy cream. Bake for 16-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking, until golden brown and firmed. Remove from pan. Allow to cool before eating.