This Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting is crazy fluffy! It is not overly sweet, with little sugar. This frosting would make the perfect addition to your favorite cake.
This recipe was first featured with my Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting. While that banana cake is delicious, I absolutely fell in love with the frosting. It’s light, fluffy, and not overly sweet. There is a very small amount of confectioners’ sugar added in addition to honey, but the peanut butter is the star. I think you will love this Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting as much as I do!
How much Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting does this recipe make?
This is a small batch frosting recipe, perfect for covering a 9-inch round cake or an 8-inch square cake. Of course, if you need more frosting you can double or triple the recipe. This Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting pairs with a lot of flavors, especially chocolate and banana. The consistency is crazy fluffy, and once chilled, it has an almost mousse-like texture. I can literally eat it by the spoonful!
Low-sugar frosting, is it any good?
The answer is yes. While there is still sugar in this frosting recipe, there is significantly less than a regular buttercream recipe. The sweet flavor comes from the combination of honey and confectioners’ sugar. Depending on what brand of peanut butter you use, there may be some additional sugar in it as well.
So, how is this light and fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting made?
This recipe could not be simpler. The key here is to make sure that your butter is soft. Softened butter is essential to the light and fluffy consistency of this frosting.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the smooth peanut butter, softened unsalted butter, salt, honey, and vanilla extract. With mixer on medium-high speed, whip the mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sifted confectioners’ sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy, scraping as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally, you want to use smooth peanut butter to make this light and fluffy frosting. Crunchy peanut butter will work, however, the little peanut bits interfere with the consistency.
No, this peanut butter frosting should not be frozen. It will not thaw appropriately. You can store this frosting in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
While you can make this recipe without sifting the sugar, you are more likely to have clumps of sugar in your final product. For the best incorporation and frosting consistency, sift the sugar before mixing it with the other ingredients.
You May Also Like:
- Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Gluten-Free Banana Cake with Vanilla Frosting
- Mom’s Simple Vanilla Buttercream
- Fudgy Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
This Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting is so good! If you make it, let me know what you think in the comments. You can certainly eat it by the spoonful, but it is also great on cake or brownies. Time to make a batch for yourself!
Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar sifted
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the peanut butter, softened butter, salt, honey, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Use immediately.