This Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting is crazy fluffy! It is not overly sweet, with little sugar. This frosting would make the perfect addition to your favorite cake.
This fluffy peanut butter frosting is one of my most favorite recipes that I have yet created. I have used it on cakes, brownies, you name it.
It is low in sugar (as far as frostings go) and the texture of the frosting is perfection. It is so good that you are going to want to eat it by the spoonful.
This recipe was first featured with my Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting. While that banana cake is delicious, I absolutely fell in love with the frosting. It's light, fluffy, and not overly sweet. There is a very small amount of confectioners' sugar added in addition to honey, but peanut butter is the star. I think you will love this fluffy peanut butter frosting as much as I do!
- Unsalted Butter - Make sure the butter is nice and softened (at room temperature) for the best incorporation. Room temperature butter results in a luscious, fluffy frosting.
- Creamy Peanut Butter - I advise that you use creamy peanut butter to obtain the fluffy texture of the frosting. I used classic Skippy creamy peanut butter for this recipe.
- Confectioners' Sugar (powdered sugar) - For best results, sift the sugar prior to adding it to the other ingredients when mixing.
- Pure Vanilla Extract - When it comes to frosting, you have to use the real stuff for the best flavor.
How much frosting does this recipe make?
This is a small batch frosting recipe, perfect for covering a 9-inch round cake or an 8-inch square cake. Of course, if you need more frosting you can double or triple the recipe. This fluffy peanut butter frosting pairs with a lot of flavors, especially chocolate and banana. The consistency is crazy fluffy, and once chilled, it has an almost mousse-like texture. I can literally eat it by the spoonful!
Low-sugar frosting, is it any good?
The answer is yes. While there is still sugar in this frosting recipe, there is significantly less than a regular buttercream recipe. The sweet flavor comes from the combination of honey and confectioners' sugar. Depending on what brand of peanut butter you use, there may be some additional sugar in it as well.
This recipe could not be simpler. The key here is to make sure that your butter is soft. Softened butter is essential to the light and fluffy consistency of this frosting.
- In a mixing bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the smooth peanut butter, softened unsalted butter, salt, honey, and pure vanilla extract. With the mixer on medium-high speed, whip the mixture until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sifted confectioners' sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy, scraping as needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ideally, you want to use smooth peanut butter to make this light and fluffy frosting. Crunchy peanut butter will work, however, the little peanut bits interfere with the consistency.
No, this peanut butter frosting should not be frozen. It will not thaw appropriately. You can store this frosting in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
While you can make this recipe without sifting the sugar, you are more likely to have clumps of sugar in your final product. For the best incorporation and frosting consistency, sift the sugar before mixing it with the other ingredients.
Other Recipes You'll Love
- Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Gluten-Free Banana Cake with Vanilla Frosting
- Mom's Simple Vanilla Buttercream
- Fudgy Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
This fluffy peanut butter frosting is so good! If you make it, let me know what you think in the comments. You can certainly eat it by the spoonful, but it is also great on cake or brownies. Time to make a batch for yourself!
Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup powdered sugar sifted
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the peanut butter, softened butter, salt, honey, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Use immediately.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Please leave a star rating and review below!
This looks so good ?
Thank you!! 🙂
What brand of peanut butter did you use? I like the light color.
Hi Emily! I used classic Skippy creamy peanut butter for this recipe. Thank you for pointing this out, I will make sure to add this information into the post. 🙂
Hey, Kat, this looks amazingly delicious. I love PB anything and like the fact this recipe did not call for powdered sugar. What do you mainly use it on?
Hey, Kat, this looks amazingly delicious. I love PB anything and like the fact this recipe did not call for too much powdered sugar. What do you mainly use it on?
Carol, this frosting really is amazing - light, fluffy, and lower in sugar. I love it on brownies, banana or chocolate cake, or by the spoonful (tastes mousse-like).
Can this frosting be piped into cupcakes? And will it frost 24 cupcakes or do you need to double?
Yes, this frosting is great for filling cupcakes. Because this recipe makes approximately one and a third cups of frosting, I suggest making a three-times batch, however, it will depend on how much frosting you plan on garnishing the cupcakes with. (It's always better to have too much, than too little!)
One of the best frostings I have ever made. I only had light peanut butter on hand and the frosting was light as a feather but still flavorful. My 85 year old mother ate it out of the bowl, in copious amounts. Outstanding recipe. Thank you!
Kim, thank you so much for this positive review. I am so happy to hear that you and your mother enjoyed this frosting. It is one of my absolute favorites too! 🙂