I had a few ripe bananas to use up (plus more in the freezer for smoothies) so I decided to bake something tasty. We are trying to eat healthy and cut back, especially with gyms closed. Granted that we still like to end our day with something sweet, I wanted to create something sweet but forgiving. This banana cake with peanut butter frosting is everything I wanted it to be and more.
I miss the gym, but I am grateful to be able to go out for walks at any time of the day. The weather has been gorgeous here, actually feels a little like summer. The flowers have bloomed everywhere you look and the sun is shining. Naturally, this weather and summer energy makes me want to eat brighter and lighter foods. This desire comes especially after the initial stress eating that had ensued at the beginning of quarantine.
The cake is made primarily of almond flour and bananas. It only uses 1/3 cup of sugar, so it is just the right amount of sweet and full of banana flavor. The peanut butter frosting also uses very little sugar, only a 1/4 cup powdered sugar and 3 tbsp of honey. This banana cake satisfies every urge you may have for cake without the guilt. It would be a delicious breakfast paired with coffee or a yummy, almost guilt-free dessert after dinner. (Midnight snacking on this cake is allowed as well.) Whatever time of the day you enjoy a slice of this delicious cake, I hope it adds a little joy to your day.
Stay strong, safe, and healthy, <3
If you are looking for more almond flour based cakes, try my Low-Carb Blueberry Coffee Cake.
Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-in round baking pan, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the mashed bananas and brown sugar until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until combined. Add the melted butter, yogurt, and vanilla, mixing until well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the batter, all at once. Mix until everything is well incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool before removing from pan.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the peanut butter, softened butter, salt, honey, and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Once cake has completely cooled. Pour all of the frosting onto the center of the cake. Using a spatula, evenly spread frosting outward to all sides. Swirl frosting with spatula as you are spreading for pretty affect.
- Store finished cake in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.