Well I for one cannot believe that Memorial Weekend is upon us. This year has been absolutely weird. Does it feel like May? Well, no. Does it feel like June is right around the corner? Again, no. But, alas the reality is that we are closing in on summer. I am very excited for the coming summer months, regardless of how this summer will be. The sun will be shining. The unofficial start to summer, Memorial Day, requires summertime food. This Italian Pasta Salad is the perfect side dish for your Memorial Day feast.
This recipe makes a lot, enough to feed a crowd. The ingredients should be easy to obtain, even during these times. I used a premade Italian dressing, Drew’s Organics brand, which has all good, real ingredients. For the pasta, you need something that will drink in all of that delicious marinade. I used rotini, which made for a delicious visual appeal.
The inclusions used include grape tomatoes, black olives, green bell pepper, salami, and cubed cheese. During this times, we want to limit the trips to the grocery store. Use what you’ve got on hand. This recipe is incredibly adaptable. If you don’t like olives, take them out. This Italian pasta salad is an open palette, just make sure it’s colorful. No matter which way you decide to go with the ingredients, I know you will enjoy it!
Stay strong and stay safe <3
Looking for more salad goodness? Try my Mediterranean Chickpea Salad!
Italian Pasta Salad
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 1 cup salmi diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese cubed
- 1 each green bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 2.25 oz can sliced vine ripe olives drained
- 1 1/4 cups Italian Dressing
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente. (See box for cooking times.) Drain. Rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled pasta, salami, cheese, bell pepper, tomatoes, and olives. Toss to combine until well incorporated. Pour dressing over the mixture, and toss until everything is well coated.
- Allow salad to sit in refrigerator over night before serving.
- Cheese: Crumbled Feta, Cubed Monterey Jack, Mini Mozzarella balls
- Olives: Kalamata, or omit
- Salami: Pepperoni