With the vast amount of cookie recipes in existence, how do you choose which ones to make for the holidays?
I am not too picky when it comes to cookies, but some people have their favorites. Naturally, I struggle trying to figure out which types to make each year for the holidays. There are just so many recipes and variations, how does one choose? Like with everything in life, balance is key.
Below is a balanced list of cookie types to include on your holiday cookie tray. This is a list I created to help steer you in the right direction in choosing which recipes to bake up this holiday (choose one recipe for each category.)
Holiday Cookie Suggestions
- Snowball Cookies: This type of cookie is designed for winter time. Typically made with some kind of nut and lots of butter, these cookies are made with few ingredients and egg free. Once rolled in sugar, they resemble snowballs. Try a chocolate version of cookies in the image above Mocha Nut Balls.
- Shortbread: Every cookie tray needs a buttery shortbread. These days there are many recipes varying from the classic such as peppermint, chai, and chocolate. Try this recipe for Chai Tea Shortbread.
- Glazed Sugar Cookies: Not only are these cookies beautiful to look at, but they are fun to make too. Let your inner Picasso shine!
- Gingerbread: Christmas time means gingerbread cookies. My all-time favorite recipe uses a small amount of black pepper which creates the perfect amount of spice.
- Thumbprints: Jam or chocolate filled, thumbprints are a holiday classic. They can be time-consuming to make, but the holidays are just not the same without these cookies.
- Specialty: Choose a new recipe every year for a specialty type of cookie. It could be salted caramel chocolate bars or toffee chocolate chip cookies. Have fun with it!
There are an infinite amount of cookie types, but the list above outlines the necessary holiday classics that can be made in many different variations. I hope this helps you when you are deciding which holiday cookies to make.
What holiday cookies are a tradition in your family?
Looking for a holiday inspired cookie recipe?