I'll be honest, the "sticky" aspect of this cake was not what I was going for. But, it turned out pretty darn delicious, so I wanted to share the recipe. The brown sugar, cinnamon goodness of this Gluten-Free Sticky Crumb Cake is perfect for when those sugar cravings hit. The flavor profile is sweet and nutty with a punch of cinnamon.
What's in this Gluten-Free Sticky Crumb Cake?
- Flours: The gluten-free flour in the base of this cake is almond flour. The crumble on top is made from oat flour. While I did not have any oat flour on hand, I pulsed oats in the food processor to make the tantalizing crumble.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon goodness of this cake packs a punch. That is because there is cinnamon in the filling and oat streusel. If you are a cinnamon lover like myself, this cake is for you.
- Unsalted Butter: Similar to the biscuit method, this cake is made with cold, cubed butter that is cut into the dry ingredients. This process gives this cake its unique texture.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is the final addition to the batter of this cake. It is the final piece that gives this cake its coffeecake-like texture.
This cake is gluten-free, but it is not sugar free...
The flavor of this reminds me of a sticky cinnamon bun minus the icing. It's sweet and nutty. I've been playing with gluten-free flours lately. I love almond flour for its texture and flavor, but I am hoping to experiment with other flours too. I cannot say this cake is low-carb, granted the different elements of sugar added, but it is free of gluten.
You may also like:
- Gluten-Free Banana Cake with Vanilla Frosting
- Low-Carb Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Banana Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting
This cake would make a sweet addition to brunch or a yummy dessert enjoyed after dinner. Pair it will a glass of almond or oat milk and you are set! This Gluten-Free Sticky Crumb Cake is sticky and crumbly (hence the name), but isn't that what you want from a sweet treat? One final thing, this cake gets better with age. I enjoyed a slice of this cake even more the second day!
Gluten-Free Sticky Crumb Cake
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 8-in spring form pan, set aside.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar until well incorporated.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and mix on low until a fine crumb forms. Add in the egg and vanilla, mix until combined. Mix in the sour cream just until combined.
- For the filling, mix together the brown sugar and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- For the streusel, combine the melted butter, oats (oat flour), ⅛ tsp salt, ¼ cup granulated sugar, and the ½ tbsp ground cinnamon. Mixture should be crumbly.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared pan, smooth out. Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon filling one the batter. Swirl in with a butter knife. Pour the remaining half of the batter into the pan, smooth out. Evenly sprinkle the top of the cake with the oat streusel. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.