We’ve all heard of tuna salad, but have you ever tried chickpea salad?
Chickpea salad makes for a delicious, nutritious sandwich. Chickpeas, otherwise known as garbanzo beans, are filled with healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They are a great addition to salads, curries and rice dishes. And they are the main component of the ever popular hummus. They may just be my favorite legume; we always have a few cans of chickpeas in our pantry. These legumes are versatile in hot or cold recipes, so why not give them a try?
This salad makes for a quick healthy dinner or a perfect packed lunch for work or school. It tastes great on a toasted multi-grain or sourdough toast with fresh lettuce and tomato slices. It is vegetarian and absolutely delicious. You can easily adapt the ingredients and seasoning to fit your needs. This recipe generally yields two hefty sandwiches, but can easily be stretched out if needed.
What are your favorite chickpea dishes? Comment below.
Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- 1 15oz can garbanzo beans (Chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 stalks celery diced small
- 2 scallions diced small
- pinch of each salt, black pepper, garlic powder
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Place in a medium sized bowl and mash until smooth, but with some remaining texture
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, celery, green onion and spices to taste. Mix well until well combined.
- Serve room temperature or cold over toasted bread with lettuce and tomato slices.