I was lucky enough to be gifted with a selection of different cheeses from Rizo Bros California Creamery, one of which was this panela cheese. While this cheese has numerous uses, I decided to bake it. This Baked Panela Cheese with Pepper Jelly is incredibly easy to prepare making it a quick, delicious snack for the everyday.
What is Panela Cheese?
Panela cheese is a white, smooth Mexican cheese made from cow’s milk. It doesn’t completely melt when heated, it holds its shape. After baking, it is almost reminiscent of a cottage cheese or ricotta.
How to use it:
This cheese can be eaten hot or cold. It can be crumbled into quesadillas, atop salads, or added to dips. In this recipe it is baked in the oven to give it a warm, crumbled texture that pairs beautifully with the flavors of the pepper jelly. You can also grill this cheese and pair it with the pepper jelly as well.
How to make this Baked Panela Cheese recipe:
The first thing you will want to do is preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a small baking dish such as a ramekin or any other small heat safe bowl. Drain the panela cheese and place it into the prepared dish, trimming if needed.
Cover the top of the cheese with the pepper jelly. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake the cheese for 25 minutes, or until softened. Serve immediately.
**It will not become completely melted for dipping. This is not a dip recipe, but something to be spooned atop tortilla chips, toasted bread, or crackers.
What to serve with this dish:
While I served it with quinoa based tortilla chips, here are a selection of other things this recipe would be great with:
- Sliced, crusty bread or crostini
- Crackers of any kind
- Warmed flatbread
Where to find pepper jelly:
Pepper jelly is relatively easy to find. I purchased mine from Trader Joe’s, their Hot and Sweet Pepper Jelly. Another great brand that I know of is Earth and Vine. In addition, there is Stonewall Kitchen’s Red Pepper Jelly. They also have a “Hot” version as well, which could work with this recipe too.
You may also like:
- The Best Guacamole
- Hummus Naan Pizzas with Cucumber and Olives
- Naan Pizzas with White Bean Puree and Bacon
- Tomato Ricotta Tart with Arugula
I hope you enjoy this Baked Panela Cheese with Pepper Jelly. It is a great snack made with only a few ingredients. It’s a nice alternative to the usual snack or appetizer. It is fun to try something new, right?
Baked Panela Cheese with Pepper Jelly
- 8 oz panela cheese
- 3 tbsp pepper jelly
- pinch kosher salt
- tortilla chips or crusty bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease a ramekin or other small, oven safe dish.
- Drain the panela cheese and place cheese into the prepared dish, trim if needed. Top the cheese with the pepper jelly, spread if needed to coat. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until jelly is bubbly and cheese is slightly softened. Serve immediately with tortilla cihps or crusty bread.