I’m getting myself ready for the holiday baking season,
and I think you should too.
I am in disbelief that Thanksgiving is next week. That said, I am excited.
I still have to figure out what pies I will be making. And going further than that, what edible gifts and cookies I will be concocting for loved ones this year for Christmas. I’ve already purchased plentiful holiday-themed cookie tins in anticipation of the season.
The stores are starting to fill up with all of the good bits of capitalism. And the deals, oh the deals. I will definitely be indulging in a few nice things, needs and wants. I always say I am going to get ahead for my Christmas shopping, but alas, I failed again seeing as next week is already Thanksgiving.
We’re taking Thanksgiving very casually this year. And after a crazy 2017, I am thankful and excited for a relaxing night of food and good company.
Now I have not been baking as much as I used to due to the busyness of life. So in an effort to get back into it, I made this apple kuchen. My grandmother cut this recipe out of the newspaper with me in mind, and I am glad she did. This cake is delicious. It has a tender crumb and the perfect balance of apple to cake. It will infuse your home with the smells of apple and cinnamon.
Though this cake is fantastic room temperature with coffee, it is exceptionally good warmed up with a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. Perfect for a holiday after dinner dessert or a sweet accompaniment to coffee in the morning this cake has everything you desire for a coffee cake.
Interested in more fall-flavored goodness? Try my
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cold and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups apples peeled and sliced (I used Honeycrisp)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp water
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar sifted, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10-in springform pan or 11-in tart pan with removable bottom.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until well combined. Cut in the cold butter pieces into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or fork until small crumbs appear. (You can also use a large food processor.)
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and egg until combined. Pour wet mixture into dry and mix until just combined. The batter will be lumpy. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan. Place apple slices on top of batter overlapping in a single layer circular design. Set aside.
- To make the glaze: In a small saucepan combine brown sugar, honey, butter, vanilla and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Using a spoon or brush, glaze the cake until all apples are covered.
- Place the cake in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Sift powdered sugar atop cake and serve warm. (Preferably with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream. )